Friday, September 17, 2010

We were in a Tornado last night. Literally.

Who would have thought that a Tornado (yes, a real tornado) would have hit Brooklyn? Max and I went out for a walk earlier in the day and it was muggy and overcast. We headed home and it started to get overcast. Within a matter of minutes the sky got dark gray and rain started to pour. I didn't think anything of it - until I looked out the window into our backyard and saw the top part of our tree fly away in the swirl of branches traveling past our backyard. It was unreal.

Max ran for cover - in a canvas bag :) I love this 3 Sprouts canvas bag I got last weekend from Giggle.

One thing I miss tremendously from the Mission (aside from my mom!) - is the produce. Give me Casa Lucas any day. I heart Casa Lucas. The produce here in New York is pitiful. The Cheap Ass Bitch warned me about the produce. "The Avocados here are 3 times the price and never ripe." I consider I had been forewarned. But, I didn't think it could possibly be this bad. I got a Spaghetti Squash from Fresh Direct the other day. Looked good from the outside. But, when I cracked it open, it was all green and not ripe. Living in California has set my expectations too high for fresh produce. I really took it for granted.



I was able to scoop out the middle of the squash and put a little water in the middle, cover it with tinfoil and cook it in the oven. It came out ok. I had to take a picture of it as I had never seen a green spaghetti squash before.



[Check out his 2 teeth in the pic!]--->
The Butternut squash I got the other day turned out ok. I made a nice pureed baby food for Max. He loved it - loved to smear it all over; His face; The Highchair; Mommy. It was a great success. I have been trying to make him baby food in an effort to save money and make delicious healthy food for him. I was using a organic baby food (Earth's Best) which is great. He really likes it. But I am part of a mom's group here in Brooklyn and one mom had to point out that there is BPA (the bad plastic compound that can leach into things) in the metal lid of the baby food. I look over at the 40 jars I bought, which are sitting in the corner and contemplate if I should continue to give it to him. I feel like not everything that he's going to touch, eat, etc will be "BPA Free." I try my best to be conscious about everything going into his body - but there are certain factors that I have little control off living in a city. Smog, Smoke, Dust. Whats wrong with a little BPA afterall? I'm sure all the bottles used when we (1970's era babies) were growing up were tainted with all kinds of good stuff. And I turned out okay. Or at least I'd like to think so. Am I a horrible mom for letting a little thing like BPA on the lid (which is not really touching the food) not really bother me? I just think of all the moms who take their kids to McDonalds[insert any Fast Food joint here] every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment